The Zantiks MWP unit helps standardise behavioural phenotyping in model organisms, such as larval zebrafish, Drosophila and Daphnia. To use the MWP unit you need a small space on your lab bench, a nearby power supply, and your own browser-enabled device (smartphone, table, laptop, PC, Mac).
Zantiks MWP kit
- Integrated unit (approx. 270mm H; 220mm D; 160mm W) with:
- Zanscript (Zantiks proprietary scripting software)
- Built-in features / stimuli (overhead 'house lights', and depending on the version of the MWP, screen, vibrating motor)
- A 12V power cable
- Zantiks router* and power cable
- Ethernet cable
- Fits standard multiwell plates and Petri dishes**
* Zantiks router is supplied with the first unit, this is typically a Cisco router with 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. Subsequent units can be networked to this router, using a network switch if necessary.
** Multiwell plates and Petri dishes not supplied.
A new temperature control system is being developed for the MWP unit which will be a free add on for current users.
Behavioural studies in the MWP include:
- Locomotor activity
- Circadian rhythm monitoring
- Toxicity, phenotyping and drug screening
- Startle response, habituation and prepulse inhibition
Setting up the MWP
How to set up the MWP unit: including the layout of the cables in the socket panel and how to insert a wellplate into the chamber, with or without a stand.
- Place the MWP unit on a stable surface close to a power socket and away from disturbance.
- Insert the 12V power supply cable into the top left of side socket of the MWP and plug it into the mains socket (see image below).
- Connect the ethernet cable at the side of the MWP unit, just below the 12V power cable, and plug this into any of the 4 slots available in the LAN section of the router.
- Turn on the router and turn on the mains socket for the Zantiks unit. Wait a few minutes for the MWP unit to power on. When using the MWP version with a screen text scrolls across the screen before displaying the IP address of the unit (which begins with the same 7 digits 192.168.1.). When using the MWP version with a vibration motor, your IP address is included on your delivery note.
- If you have only one Zantiks unit, the address will be 192.168.1.101. The IP address is used to identify the unit on the Zantiks Control Console.
- Using any browser-enabled device (smartphone/tablet/laptop/PC/Mac):
- go to your device’s network settings and connect to the wifi network “Zantiks”
- type in the network password, which is initially set up as: behaviour, simply
- go to the address bar of the web browser and type in the IP address for your Zantiks unit (see step 4).
- Your web browser should now display the Zantiks Control Console page.
Next, go to the manual, Zantiks Control Console, to see how you operate the unit via your web browser.