The Zantiks AD helps standardise behavioural experiments in animal models such as adult zebrafish and mice. To use the Zantiks unit you need a small space on your lab bench, a nearby power supply, and your own browser-enabled device (e.g. smartphone/tablet/ laptop/PC/ Mac).
Zantiks AD kit
- Integrated unit (approx. 500mm H; 300mm D; 220mm W) with:
- Tank / cage
- Built in stimuli (overhead ‘house lights’, screen, mild electric shock, solid and liquid delivery)
- Zanscript (Zantiks software)
- One tank (approx. 150mm H; 200mm D; 140mm W)
- Tank inserts to create multiple different arenas:
- Arena lengthwise dividing inserts x 3
- Arena widthwise dividing inserts x 3
- Food magazine insert x 1
- 5-aperture insert x 1
- 2 metal shocking plates with cable and testing LED strip
- Peristaltic pump unit
- A 12V power cable
- Zantiks router* and power cable
- Ethernet cable
*One Zantiks router is supplied with the first unit, this is usually a Cisco router with 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. Subsequent units can be networked to this router, using a network switch if necessary.
Behavioural studies in the AD include:
- 5-choice serial reaction time task (5-CSRTT)
- Matching to sample
- Reversal learning
- Aversion learning
- Startle response, habituation and prepulse inhibition
- Conditioned place preference
Setting up the AD
- Place the AD unit on a stable surface close to a power socket and away from disturbance.
- Insert the 12V power supply cable into the back socket of the AD and plug it into the mains socket.
- Connect the ethernet cable at the back of the Zantiks unit and plug this into any of the 4 slots available in the LAN section of the router (see image below).
- Turn on the router and turn on the mains socket for the Zantiks unit. When the Zantiks unit powers on, a text screen will load and scroll across the screen in the unit.
- The unit’s IP address will be displayed on the screen each time the unit is turned on. The IP address is used to identify the unit on the Zantiks Control Console.
- Using any browser-enabled device (smartphone/tablet/laptop/PC/Mac):
- go to your device’s network settings and connect to the wifi network “Zantiks”
- type in the network password, which is initially set up as: behaviour, simply
- go to the address bar of the web browser and type in the IP address for your Zantiks unit (as mentioned above).
- Your web browser should now display the Zantiks Control Console page.