This tutorial demonstrates how to set up the Zantiks AD unit to measure the behaviour of adult zebrafish in a novel tank diving assay.
AD set up
How to set up the Zantiks AD unit for a novel tank diving assay with zebrafish
Tank diving inserts from left to right: stand, slim tank, funnel, foam door
- Stand has no ridge at the front of the raised platform.
- Slim tank fits neatly into the chamber on the stand.
- Funnel fits through the hole in the side of the chamber.
- Foam door fits tightly over the opening to the chamber.
- First put the AD unit on its side.
- Pull out the stopper from the hole in the side of the experimental chamber.
- Insert the stand at a slight angle so it will fit into the chamber and then place it flat at the bottom. Make sure that the stand is the correct way round - the ridge on the raised platform must be situated at the back of the platform so that the tank can slide in easily.
- Slide in the slim tank so that it fits securely on the raised platform on the stand.
- In the hole at the top of the chamber insert the funnel, turning it slightly to ease it in.
- Using a foam lid you can close off the tank.
- The fish can then be viewed and tracked by the camera from the side of the tank.
The script below is for videoing and analysing data from a lateral view of the Zantiks tank, also known as 'tank diving'. The AD unit will sit on its side. The script is set to autostart when the fish is released into the tank through the tube. Don't forget you will need the correct detector asset saved in the unit's Asset directory (in this case - "horizontaltank.bmp") before being able to run the experiment.
INCLUDE ZSYS DEFINE SQUARE 2 DEFINE UNIT_TIME 5 DEFINE NUM_BINS 60 DEFINE EXP_TIME 300 ACTION MAIN SET(AUTOREF_MODE,1) SET(AUTOREF_TIMEOUT,1) SET(DETECTOR_THRESHOLD,2) SET(SEARCH_DISTANCE,50) SET(SEARCH_STEP,7) SET(FILTER_RADIUS,15) SETLIGHT(LIGHT1,SQUARE,800,500,1600) SET(COUNTER1,COUNTER_ZERO) LOAD(DETECTORS,"horizontaltank") LOGCREATE("TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:TIME|TEXT:INTERVAL") LOGAPPEND("TEXT:ZONE1_DISTANCE|TEXT:ZONE2_DISTANCE|TEXT:ZONE3_DISTANCE") LOGAPPEND("TEXT:ZONE1_TIME|TEXT:ZONE2_TIME|TEXT:ZONE3_TIME") LOGAPPEND("TEXT:ZONE1_ENTRIES|TEXT:ZONE2_ENTRIES|TEXT:ZONE3_ENTRIES") LOGRUN() LIGHTS(ALL,OFF) LIGHTS(LIGHT1,WHITE) LIGHTS(LIGHT16,WHITE) VIDEO(300,"dive") AUTOREFERENCE() DETECTOR(DETECTOR1,DIVE) DETECTOR(DETECTOR2,DIVE) DETECTOR(DETECTOR3,DIVE) WAIT(EXP_TIME) COMPLETE ACTION DIVE LOGDATA(DATA_SNAPSHOT,"BEGIN") INVOKE(DATA_BINS,NUM_BINS) LOGDATA(DATA_SNAPSHOT,"END") LOGDATA(DATA_SELECT,"BEGIN") LOGDATA(DATA_DELTA,"END") LOGCREATE("TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:TOTALS") LOGAPPEND("ZONE_DISTANCES:Z1-3|ZONE_TIMERS:Z1-3|ZONE_COUNTERS:Z1-3") LOGRUN() COMPLETE ACTION DATA_BINS SET(COUNTER1,COUNTER_INC) LOGDATA(DATA_SNAPSHOT,"beginUnit") WAIT(UNIT_TIME) LOGDATA(DATA_SNAPSHOT,"endUnit") LOGDATA(DATA_SELECT,"beginUnit") LOGDATA(DATA_DELTA,"endUnit") LOGCREATE("TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:|TEXT:|RUNTIME|COUNTER1") LOGAPPEND("ZONE_DISTANCES:Z1-3|ZONE_TIMERS:Z1-3|ZONE_COUNTERS:Z1-3") LOGRUN() COMPLETE
Novel tank diving assay with an adult zebrafish