The Zantiks MWP unit helps standardise behavioural phenotyping in model organisms, such as larval zebrafish, Drosophila and Daphnia. To use the MWP unit you need a small space on your lab bench, a nearby power supply, and your own browser-enabled device (smartphone, table, laptop, PC, Mac).
Zantiks MWP kit
- Integrated unit (approx. 270mm H; 220mm D; 160mm W) with:
- Zanscript (Zantiks proprietary scripting software)
- Built-in features / stimuli (overhead 'house lights', and depending on the version of the MWP, screen, vibrating motor)
- A 12V power cable
- Zantiks router* and power cable
- Ethernet cable
- Fits standard multiwell plates and Petri dishes**
* Zantiks router is supplied with the first unit, this is typically a Cisco router with 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. Subsequent units can be networked to this router, using a network switch if necessary.
** Multiwell plates and Petri dishes not supplied.
A new temperature control system is being developed for the MWP unit which will be a free add on for current users.
Behavioural studies in the MWP include:
- Locomotor activity
- Circadian rhythm monitoring
- Toxicity, phenotyping and drug screening
- Startle response, habituation and prepulse inhibition
Assembling the motor plate
If you have purchased the MWP version with a built-in motor (used with aquatic animals) you need to insert the motor plate into the unit before using it. The motor plate is delivered detached in order to prevent breakages in transit.
Please note the MWP unit with a built-in screen, used with Drosophila, does not have a built-in motor, so these assembly instructions are not valid for this version.
The video below shows how to slide the front section of the MWP unit up so that the motor plate can be inserted and attached. You will need a T10 Torx driver, or similar, not an allen key to do this (this tool should be included with your unit).
How to assemble the MWP unit, attaching the motor plate
Setting up the MWP
How to set up the MWP unit: including the layout of the cables in the socket panel and how to insert a wellplate into the chamber, with or without a stand.
- Place the MWP unit on a stable surface close to a power socket and away from disturbance.
- Insert the 12V power supply cable into the top left of side socket of the MWP and plug it into the mains socket (see image below).
- Connect the ethernet cable at the side of the MWP unit, just below the 12V power cable, and plug this into any of the 4 slots available in the LAN section of the router.
- Turn on the router and turn on the mains socket for the Zantiks unit. Wait a few minutes for the MWP unit to power on. When using the MWP version with a screen text scrolls across the screen before displaying the IP address of the unit (which begins with the same 7 digits 192.168.1.). When using the MWP version with a vibration motor, your IP address is included on your delivery note.
- If you have only one Zantiks unit, the address will be 192.168.1.101. The IP address is used to identify the unit on the Zantiks Control Console.
- Using any browser-enabled device (smartphone/tablet/laptop/PC/Mac):
- go to your device’s network settings and connect to the wifi network “Zantiks”
- type in the network password, which is initially set up as: behaviour, simply
- go to the address bar of the web browser and type in the IP address for your Zantiks unit (see step 4).
- Your web browser should now display the Zantiks Control Console page.
Next, go to the manual, Zantiks Control Console, to see how you operate the unit via your web browser.